Monday, October 12, 2009

Bagdad





I have been in Iraq for 2 weeks and I definitely prefer it to Kuwait. There's trees here and a variety of birds. The temperature is cooler than Kuwait by a good 10 degrees.

We went to Al Faw palace for a medical conference. Al Faw was one of Saddam's 99 palaces, and it was not exactly what I imagined a palace would look like, but it was nicer than the trailer that I live in. It's got a man made lake around it, stocked with specially bred bass.




myself and a fellow PA, CPT Reba Schmidt in a throne that was a gift from Yassar Arafat to Saddam




The conference was good. It was nice to get away for a little while and associate with other medical providers; to talk about tennis elbows and frozen shoulders; to eat typical conference fare (fruit plates and donuts and coffee) and make connections. It almost felt like any conference I've ever been to. Except everyone was dressed the same and carried a weapon.



No comments: