Sunday, December 7, 2008

My soapbox

Yeah, I sometimes feel like a broken record.

I've got TV while I'm here in TX and have been watching CNN for the first time in my life. This is the Real News? I've seen 15 minute stories on the new pre-teen vampire flick, in depth reports on OJ Simpson's trial and whole shows about Brad Pitt/Anjelena Jolie. In the meantime? In the meantime... Last week Venezuela had a voter turnout of more than 60% (in a non-presidential election year!) utilizing sane and reliable electronic voting booths. Nigeria held elections which were followed by riots that killed over 400 people. The U.S. again refused to sign a cluster bomb treaty, endangering the lives of hundreds of thousands of civilians (cluster bombs victims are 98% civilian, most often children).

How did I get this news? From the Christian Science Monitor, the BBC and Al Jazeera. How does the American public get this news? Mostly, they don't. How can we expect citizens to be involved in their world and their community when they don't even know what's going on?

1 comment:

heron said...

Here's some good news- it looks like Lubchenko is going to be the new NOAA lead. I'm feeling something strange, is it, like, optimism?

Oh, btw, I've rediscovered my blog. In the New Year, I aim to write.