Sunday, October 19, 2008

Weekend, FT Sam Houston

My first week in TX. It's been warm, in the mid-70's to upper-80's during the days. But, the area is greener than I'd expected, with lots of live oak and blooming flowers. People are nice here, and class is laid back, boring even. It's a big post- I decided to walk to dinner the other night instead of hitching a ride with my roommate and ended up getting lost. Both ways.

We went (as a class) to the museum here at Ft Sam. This is the training center for all Army medics and they've got a very nice medical museum. I couldn't take pictures of most of the exhibits because they were behind glass, but they had some cool old medical tools- bloodletting knives and old apothacary herbs. Lots of old ambulance equipment and some medivac helicopters.
xxx




Here I am by a Korea-era Sioux.



A Vietnam-era Iroquois (Huey).




Some cool art- I like the medic in this picture with a cigarette in his mouth.




Saturday evening, we went to downtown San Antonio to the River Walk, a 2 mile long network of bridges and shops located a story below the street. We got there in the late afternoon, walked a bit and ate some mexican food (I ordered a veggie quesadilla with no cheese and the waiter thought I was a crazy gringo).




We turned down the mariachi band, but the table right next to us got a song, so I stole some pictures. I'd never seen a real live mariachi band before.



By then it was getting dark and we took a river cruise and learned about the history and architecture of the area. Unfortunately, the pictures I took at night didn't turn out well, but it was very beautiful, with the cyprus trees lit up with colored lights and egrets fishing in the shallow water.

No comments: